Dear CHM@L Parents:
I bring greetings from the Principal’s Office of Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve as Principal and I am excited about the wonderful things that we will accomplish together.
A few key dates to remember in August:
- Enroll your children by August 20 to help our school win 20 new computers!
- We will have our annual CHM@L Meet and Greet on Wednesday, August 22, from 5:30pm until 7pm in the multipurpose room. This is an informal event that allows new parents to meet the staff and connect with “seasoned” parents.
- DCPS Beautification Day is Saturday, August 25, 2012 from 8am until 1pm. register to volunteer here.
- The first day of school for returning students is Monday, August 27, 2012.
First Day of School
- Parents of new 3 year old students should have received a phase in start date for their child. If you did not attend one of the new parent orientation sessions, please call the main office ((202) 698-4467) to verify that your child has a seat at our school. If they still have a seat, they have been assigned a phase in date.
- On the first day of school (August 27), classroom assistants will greet students and parents in the lobby. Parents will enter the building, sign the United Black Fund, first day of school sheets, there will be staff members in the hall to direct parents and students to their child’s classroom. Ms. Smith-Moore and Ms. Hall will be in the main office to assist parents with the submission of lunch applications and registration documentation like proof of residency, birth certificates, etc.
Drop Off and Pick Up
- The school day begins at 8:45am; students are dismissed at 3:15pm.
- When entering the school, please press the call button to the left of the door. When the door clicks, turn the handle all the way down, push the door in, and then pull the door toward you.
- Upon entering the building, all visitors must sign in and show ID. Please remember to sign out when leaving.
- Please read the new drop off instructions (or download pdf here). Note that there are new parking restrictions (and signs) in place along G Street directly in front of the school- drivers must remain in vehicles – no parking. You may park your car on the parking lot for a few minutes so that you can drop off in morning.
- At 3:15, students who are not enrolled in after care, will be dismissed from the playground. The classroom teacher will escort his/her students to the playground where parents will pick up their children. Please make sure that the playground is clear by 3:45pm so Springboard can use it for aftercare. On inclement weather days, parents can pick up their children from the main lobby and multipurpose room.
After (and Before) School Care
Before and after care will be provided by Springboard, (please register and enroll online) before care will begin at 7:30am and aftercare will end at 6:30pm. Students not enrolled in before care should not report to school before 8:15am. Students not enrolled in after care should be picked up at 3:15pm.
There will be universal free breakfast for all students. Breakfast begins at 8:15am in the cafeteria (downstairs) and ends at 8:35am. Students are not allowed to take food or drink out of the cafeteria.
Starting on August 27, the price of DCPS paid lunch meals will increase. Meals for elementary students will increase to $2. Students who apply and qualify for free and reduced meals will continue to receive lunch free of charge. Breakfast also remains free to all DCPS students.
Please remember that all parents and guardians at Capitol Hill Montessori must fill out the Free and Reduced Meal Application (FARM) for central office records. Download it or complete it online. Students will be automatically defaulted to “paid” status and will be charged $2 for lunch if their parents/guardians do not complete a lunch application prior to October 1. FARM application collection is important because they determine Title 1, E-Rate, and grant funding for schools.
You can pick up a lunch application from the main office at the school or you can complete the application by visiting http://dcps.dc.gov.DCPS/Beyond+the+Classroom/Food+Services/Application+for+Free+and+Reduced+Meals. For questions or comments, please call the Office of Food and Nutrition Services at (202) 719-6599.
You can pay for your children’s meals online via
Other Things To Remember
- Please notify the school nurse, main office and your child’s teacher if your child has any allergies that we need to be made aware of.
- Please do not allow children to play on the grass or in the garden boxes in front of the school.
- Labor Day, Monday, September 3 is a holiday. There will be NO SCHOOL or BEFORE/AFTERCARE.
- Back to School Night will be Thursday, September 13, 2012, from 6:00pm to 7:30pm.
Important Phone Numbers/Contact Information
- The phone number to the main office is (202) 698-4467. The fax number to the main office (202) 698-4533.
- Nurse Frasier is our school nurse. Her office number is (202) 698-3797.
- The school website is
- The school twitter is @CH_Montessori
- The school facebook page is
- If your children are enrolled in the program, please join our Friends of Montessori group (be sure to provide your child(ren)’s name and teacher).