Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan
215 G Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Brandon Eatman, Principal
August 19, 2011
Dear CHM@L Parents:
I bring greetings from the Principal’s Office of Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve as Principal and I am excited about the wonderful things that we will accomplish together. I envision Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan as a caring community where all students achieve their full potential in preparation for becoming productive members of society. Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan exists to educate the whole child. We will serve the unique academic, physical, social and emotional needs of students who are in critical periods of development as they grow from three years old through fifth grade.
A new school year presents opportunities for various beginnings – new classrooms, new colleagues, and new students. Newness alone cannot produce an outstanding school. My dedicated and hard working staff is willing to be caught up in the rebirth that is possible with each new school year. Starting a new school gives us the opportunity to make new plans, design new strategies, and implement new activities for a new class. Whether one’s responsibility is administration, teaching, managing the front office, managing the school budget, preparing lunches, or maintaining the building, there is always room for improvement and for new ways to do a good job even better.
We will be proud of our achievements at Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan – in our classrooms, in our offices, in on our stage – but our accomplishments will not be due to complacency and satisfaction with the status quo. Our school will shine despite the immense pressure that we have to succeed. We have a staff of dedicated men and women who have a common goal – to do what is best for students – and are always looking for ways to achieve that goal.
We have a golden opportunity to build a school like no other in the District of Columbia Public Schools System. I hope that every child has a successful school year and I look forward to working together at the Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan – Where we educate the whole child!
Important Information for Parents
- The first day of school for returning students is Monday, August 22, 2011.
- The school day begins at 8:45am; students are dismissed at 3:15pm.
- Before and Aftercare will be provided by Springboard, before care will begin at 7:30am and aftercare will end at 6:30pm. Students not enrolled in before care should not report to school before 8:15am. Students not enrolled in after care should be picked up at 3:15pm. Mr. Taylor will be the site coordinator for Springboard.
- There will be universal free breakfast for all students. Breakfast begins at 8:15am in the cafeteria (downstairs).
- Every student needs to have a lunch application on file; our school receives money for every lunch application submitted. If you do not want your child to participate in the school lunch program, please check the refusal of benefits box and complete section 5 of the lunch application. Our goal is 100% completion by September 10th. Download paper form here or submit the form online here (select “Montessori at Logan”). Visit DCPS.dc.gov for more information.
- Back to School Night will be Thursday, September 8, 2011, from 6:30pm to 8pm.
- On the first day of school, classroom assistants will greet students and parents at the curb. Parents will enter the building, sign the United Black Fund, first day of school sheets, there will be staff members in the hall to direct parents and students to their child’s classroom. Ms. Smith-Moore and Ms. Hall will be in the multi-purpose room to assist parents with submitting lunch applications and registration documentation like proof of residency, birth certificates, etc. After your child has been dropped off to the classroom, parents can come to the multi- purpose room to have coffee with Mr. Eatman until 9:30am.
- For the first week of school….At 3:15, students who are not enrolled in aftercare, will be dismissed from the front of the building. The classroom teacher will escort his/her students to the font of the school building where parents will pick up their child(ren).
- We will have French as our World Language this school year. I have selected an outstanding candidate for the position.
- The phone number to the main office is (202) 698-4467. The fax number to the main office (202) 698-4533.
- Please notify the main office and your child’s teacher if he/she has any allergies that we need to be made aware of.
- Nurse Frasier is going to be our full time school nurse. Her office number is (202) 698-3797.
- Parents of new 3 year old students should have received a phase in start date for their child. If you have not received a start date, please call the main office.
- The school website is http://capitolhillmontessorischool.org
- The school twitter is @CH_Montessori
- The school facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Capitol-Hill-Montessori-at-Logan/146801642056471